The Annual Nordic Ski Relay
On February 12th, 2022 the Project Connect Nordic Ski Relay was held. This past year was a unique opportunity to ski any and all four of the Ironwood Nordic trails in one day. Participants set their own courses as far or as short as they liked, gathering tokens along the way to be entered into a raffle. Skiers had the option to form their own relay teams of family and friends or ski the course by themselves. The event was a fun, family format, not a timed race.
Supporting Our Mission
The relay skiers were so generous with their donations, and thousands of dollars were matched dollar for dollar by a Foundation matching program funded by William and Debbie Feiges. Donations went towards Project Connect to fund enhancements to the Woodward Trail on the Foundation land. Projects include trailside kiosks, benches, and trail enhancements.
The after party was held at Cold Iron Brewing, where skiers exchanged the tokens they collected along the trails for raffle tickets. The raffle winners were able to pick from an array of prizes provided by our sponsors. It was a great opportunity to win some fun prizes and share ski stories.
Thank you to our 2022 sponsors for providing the prizes!
Cold Iron, Contrast Coffee, Bake Superior Bread, Hobby Wheel, Hitt’s Fine Furniture, Abelman’s Clothing & Footwear, Mattson’s TV & Appliance, European Treats, Rigoni’s Bakery, and ABR Ski Trails.
Bringing The Community Together
This ski relay demonstrated how cross country skiers can navigate through local trails connecting from Erwin Township all the way to Ramsay, and showed how close the community is getting to completing these connections.
Influencing Future Plans
After this event, the Foundation will be able to better inform future plans to connect ABR to other ski trails, and make decisions concerning the first phase of Project Connect. Initial feedback would indicate that the focus will be on better connecting the north end of ABR to Norrie Park and the south end of the Miners Memorial Heritage Park (MMHP).
Mark your calendars for the next annual Nordic ski event — February 11th, 2023!
Upcoming Events — Summer 2022
A work bee is planned for the summer of 2022 on the Woodward Trail, the first 100 acres ABR Inc donated to the Anderson Bluffs & River Trails Foundation.
- When — August 20, 2022, 8:00-12:00
- What — erect trail side educational kiosks, reflection benches, and trail enhancements.
- Why — to create a better connection from ABR to Norrie Park to Ironwood Trails (Miners Memorial Heritage Park).
- Sign up now — send us an email to get on our team list AndersonFoundation13@gmail.com
Nordic Ski Relay – February 20, 2021
The Anderson Bluffs & River Trails Foundation Inc. conducted a fun cross country ski relay on February 20, 2021, from ABR Ski Trails in Erwin Township and finished in Ramsey via the interconnecting local trails. This relay was divided into six segments and relay captains were organized into small ski teams to complete that portion of the trail. Teams complied with COVID-19 safety protocols with no pre/post race events. Captains are also Directors on the Foundation’s board. The captains invited a small group of skiers to ski in their relay leg.
The seven relay legs were:
- Eric Anderson & Angela Santini — starting leg at ABR.
- Melissa Santini – to Sulu’s (Highill) warming cabin at ABR.
- Chris Halverson – loop around Wolf Tracks trail at ABR.
- Will Andresen – to Jack Pine Trail to Norrie Park gate.
- Scott Erickson & Rich Scott– to Foundation land (Woodward Trail) to Miner’s Memorial Heritage Park Trail to Iron Belle Trail intersection with Easy Street.
- Melanie Fullman – Iron Belle Trail intersection with Country Club Road across US 2 to Wolverine Nordic Trails spur.
- Randy Ahnen – Iron Belle Trail from Easy Street to Ramsey finish line.
This relay helped support the foundation’s future plans to better connect ABR Trails to other ski trails.
Learn more about the projects that are bringing these trails together.